A true multitasker helping me bid my beloved blotting papers adieu
My combo skin’s best friend has longtime been blotting papers. No matter where I go, I always have a pack of these on me for the inevitable midday and early evening touch ups. While I love a good powder, I’ve never been a fan of layering it on throughout the day so the blotting papers are a necessity. This surprisingly effective lotion has changed up this routine in a big way.
What it claims:
- Smooth skin texture, tighten and unclogg pores
- Make skin clearer
- A more radiant complexion
Why it’s glow worthy:
- So lightweight that it easily layers with other products
- Minimizes shine on my t-zone throughout the day
- Serves as a pimple spot treatment
- Pores do seem more refined
- Super gentle
Bright-Eyed and Bushy-Tailed
Is just how I feel when I use this NARS- Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner in Rue Bonaparte. I purchased this color specifically to use on my lower waterline to give me a wide-eyed look. This is a common trick: use a light colored pencil on your waterline to create the illusion of brighter and more awake eyes. I just wasn’t convinced it was really worth the added expense of an extra eye pencil, but then I stumbled across this lovely NARS video on youtube and had to have it!
Quick Touch of Color for Lips & Cheeks
I’m usually not a fan of multi use makeup products, but this Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge For Lips & Cheeks seems to have the formulation down right to really deliver as both a blush and lip tint. It’s become a staple in my handbag and my go to product when I’m running late as it can be easily applied with fingers. It’s been the only blush to find its way into my travel cosmetic bag on my last two trips…which is saying a ton, because I don’t travel light, not even a little bit. At a glance:
Instant Under Eye Brightness
I have had a long and sordid relationship with eye creams, but I dare say this pretty little pot has put me on the road to rehabilitation. More on this later, but here is why I LOVE this eye cream:
- Just after two short weeks of use day and night, I had already starting noticing an improvement in the brightness of my under eye area.
- It is super moisturizing but feels like a cross between a gel and a cream so it absorbs quickly.
- It instantly brightens and depuffs without resorting to any gimmicky glitter particles (feels like a dream if you store it in the refrigerator!).
- It wears beautifully under makeup, with or without the use of a primer.
- At $30 for the .5 oz or $51.50 for the 1 oz jar it’s a steal compared to the higher end eye creams on the market.
- Did I mention how gentle it is?! I’ve experienced no irritation or burning which is extremely important to me since I’m a contact lens wearer.
Now back to why I’ve had such trouble with eye creams in the past…
A true at-home spa experience for luminous, smooth skin…
When I was in Paris a few months ago, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to visit the original Diptyque store on 34 Boulevard Saint Germain. Their candles are the epitome of luxury, and I was extremely excited about the new skincare line they just launched. What better place to explore the line and pick out a product than the flagship store? Given that the warm temperatures in Paris were not agreeing with my T-zone, I decided to give this mask a try.
First off, I’ll say that this product smells divine. If you’re looking for an at-home spa experience, this is a product that won’t disappoint. I wouldn’t expect any less from Diptyque. (The catch 22 here though is that fragrance really isn’t a skincare benefit and if you have sensitive skin, this could be irritating.)
We’ve all heard the prolific tips that scatter magazines and blogs: drink plenty of water, wear sunscreen, etc etc…. so I’ll spare you those and get straight to the good stuff. These are my top 10 easy tips to keep your skin looking it’s best. While these are not glamorous by any means, all are tried and tested by yours truly and have done wonders for my skin.
1. Change your pillow case often
This is especially important if you have skin prone to breakouts. Ideally, before bed you should wash your face thoroughly and apply a treatment and/or moisturizer. So why spoil it by sleeping on a dirty pillow? No matter how well you clean your face, oil and bacteria transfer to your pillow while you sleep. This is not only from your face but also from your hair (especially if you use any hair products). These oils are not meant for your skin, so after several days of contact from your pillow to your face…you get the picture. Make your bed a skin sanctuary and change those pillow cases often.
2. Makeup remover is not only for removing makeup
You can use a makeup remover or cleansing water on troublesome spots to keep pimples at bay. I like to use it as a gentle pre-workout treatment to prevent blemishes, concentrating on areas where I tend to breakout like my hairline and cheeks. My favorites are Caudalie’s Make-Up Remover Cleansing Water and Bioderma Crealine H2O, though the latter is more expensive and harder to find here in the states.